Downtown Business Improvement District
Working for Oakland
Oakland City Center is a part of the Dowtown Oakland Association.
The Downtown Oakland Association is a Community Benefit District (CBD) which is revitalizing a nineteen block area in the heart of Oakland, California by providing special benefit services such as district maintenance, safety and security management, and community and cultural enrichment. The District was formed following a vote of property owners in 2009 to support a voluntary property tax to fund these additional services over the next 10 years.
The Downtown Oakalnd Association is a non-profit corporation with a Board of Directors, who are adamant in the belief that Oakland is a great City, deserving of national recognition for its assets—not its liabilities.
The district seeks to fund special services which will:
- Provide supplemental security services through a seven-day a week ambassador program;
- Provide maintenance services including: ongoing cleaning of sidewalks and gutters, graffiti removal, removal of abandoned news racks and parking meters, and new landscaping services throughout the district;
- Promote programs and events that create a positive district identity;
- Create safe havens to and from BART stations, particularly during the rush hour periods, and
- Create new, dynamic and attractive public spaces that make property owners, businesses, employees, residents and visitors proud to be part of these two districts
The Downtown Oakland Association fosters an environment where businesses thrive, art flourishes, and residents and visitors alike can enjoy all that downtown Oakland has to offer.